Friday 30 November 2012

Winner of NaNoWriMo 2012!

The fabulous month of NaNoWriMo is slowly coming to its conclusion. It has been a crazy intensive month for most of its participants. For my part this was my first year doing it. I started out with heavy doubts as to whether I would make those 50,000 words without breaking my neck on the challenge. I did manage them. By the 16th of November I had already won the challenge. This was a major boost to my confidence and my optimism with my writing. I went so far as to raise my goal to a solid 100,000 words by the end of the month. That was how confident and determined I felt.

Today is the last day of the challenge and I find myself with a word count just short of 86,000 words. I have not written a single word in the last couple of days, I have tumbled head first into a solid writer’s block. My brain has exhausted itself with creativeness and now refuses to co-operate. But this is inevitable. This happens to all writers from time to time and never in opportune moments, mind you! But you know what? It does not matter! Sit back, relax, and admire what you have already created. Allow yourself to feel that pride that sits in your chest, clawing at you to let it out.

It is okay to take a break and get some fresh air to your brain. Think about something else for a while and then return to your work when your inspiration has been renewed.

So I did not make my own goal for the challenge. I am a bit disappointed perhaps. I had really looked forward to be able to say to people that I had won this year’s NaNoWriMo twice over. But ultimately this still has to be the most productive month of my life. Ever. For the first time I know with a certainty that I can finish this work that I am working on, and I have no particular need to rush it. Even though I failed a little toward the end, this month was a huge success for me.

I am giving myself a silent applause and a well deserved break. I raise my cup in salute to all those others who also come out of this with a story of success. Even to those that did not have it in them this month, or for whom it was just plain bad timing, I forward a nod of recognition. They made an effort despite their odds. There will be other times for them to shine.

And thus I will let the month pass into the past with no further ceremony.

And with this post of optimism I will reopen the activity on this blog. A lot of my old stuff has been deleted. A lot of new stuff is waiting to be published. 2013 will see a whole new life come to the Numinous Publications by Hypervorean!

May the spirit of writing be with you!

Winner badge 180x180

No comments:

Post a Comment